Just like physicians, the best educators stay informed with the latest developments in their field. Luckily, it doesn’t take anything more than time to have access to quality journals for educators whether they teach at the pre K-12, college, or graduate level. The following open access journals provide top-notch scholarly information available at no cost. Most of these journals are published just once or a few times a year, so subscribe to several so you can keep up-to-date on the latest research coming out of the field of education.
Education Research, Practices, and Approaches
These journals focus on research, practices, and specific approaches to education on all levels including pre K-12, college students in bachelor degree programs, and graduate students.
- Journal of Curriculum and Instruction. The articles here focus on research and practice relevant to pre K-12 education.
- The School Community Journal. The mission of this journal is to unite the entire community of teachers, parents, and students to work in the interest of successful education.
- Insight. This annual journal focuses on research-based articles, case studies, and innovation in teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Education Review. Find reviews of books that discuss education scholarship and practice in this journal.
- Networks. Kindergarten through postgraduate teachers share research on classroom practices in an effort to improve effectiveness.
- Educational Researcher. Take a look at current educational practices and trends here.
- International Journal of Whole Schooling. Based on the eight principles of whole schooling, this journal publishes analysis, research and practices that work to improve learning.
- Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation. This journal provides scholarly articles on research and ideas about educational practices and can be helpful for students in master’s degree programs looking for educational research.
- The Journal of Pedagogy, Pluralism, and Practice. Stay on top of cultural criticism and pluralistic approaches to teaching in a variety of settings with the information in this journal.
- Journal of Research Practice. Take a look at interdisciplinary research as a practice with the scholarly articles here.
- MountainRise. Find scholarly articles on the practice of teaching and learning in this journal.
- The Qualitative Report. Qualitative research is the focus of the scholarly articles found here.
- Research in Middle Level Education Online. Read studies, cases, and research relevant to middle school education and young adolescents.
- The Open Education Journal. This open access journal offers information on contemporary education and learning.
Education Policy and Issues
Find out what is being researched and discussed when it comes to educational policies and issues when you read these journals.
- Education Next. This evidence-based journal highlights current research in education policy and school reform.
- Education Policy Analysis Archives. Available in both English and Spanish, the articles here focus on current policy in American education.
- Nonpartisan Education Review. Find nonpartisan research, information, and policy on education issues here.
- Florida Journal of Educational Administration & Policy. Publishing peer-reviewed articles on education administration and policy, this journal invites readers from K-12 and higher education settings.
- Current Issues in Comparative Education. With voices from teachers, students, policy-makers, and academics, this journal explores contemporary educational issues.
- Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies. Examining a variety of policy approaches to education, this journal is specifically an exploration of Marxist and Left analyses of education.
- Current Issues in Education. Read scholarly works exploring the issues and policies in education.
- The Future of Children. Find research and analysis promoting the development of programs and policies for children.
Find out what it takes to become a strong leader both inside and out of the classroom with these journals that focus on leadership in education.
- International Journal of Education Policy and Leadership. This journal is dedicated to expanding the education policy and leadership knowledge base and promoting exploration of policy alternatives.
- Academic Leadership. Learn about cultivating leadership in both public school and higher education settings.
- Advancing Women in Leadership Online Journal. Stay on top of the latest information about women’s issues in leadership roles.
- International Journal of Teacher Leadership. This peer-reviewed journal offers information on the practice and research of teacher leadership in their annual publications.
- International Journal of Urban Educational Leadership. Focusing on the specific issues that pertain to urban environments, this journal publishes both traditional and alternative scholarly items.
Science and Math
These journals provide the latest information on science and math education.
- Life Sciences Education. This journal offers insight on teaching and learning in the life sciences.
- The Electronic Journal of Literacy Through Science. Learn about writing and language arts as a tool for teaching and learning science.
- Electronic Journal of Science Education. Explore varied aspects of teaching and learning science with the articles in this journal.
- International Journal of Environmental and Science Education. Read about all aspects of science, environment, and technology in education with the articles here.
- Columbia Undergraduate Science Journal. Find peer-reviewed articles featuring the highest-quality scholarship performed by undergraduate students.
- Physical Review Special Topics – Physics Education Research. This peer-reviewed journal promotes the teaching and learning of physics.
- DIO: The International Journal of Scientific History. Scientists and mathematicians write about scientific history and principle here.
- The Mathematics Educator. This journal serves as a source for information exchange between math education professionals.
- Journal of Statistics Education. Focusing on understanding students’ approach to learning statistics and improving ways of teaching statistics is the mission of this journal.
From teaching literature to teens to preventing plagiarism, these journals are all about language arts education.
- The ALAN Review. This journal provides information relevant to teaching literature to teens.
- Kairos. This journal explores the language arts and rhetoric through the use of new media.
- CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture. This journal explores scholarship in comparative literature and cultural studies.
- Reading Online. Browse through these journal articles that focus on teaching reading.
- Language Learning & Technology. This journal is specifically for teachers of second and foreign language and how teaching and learning can be enhanced through the use of technology.
- Literacy Teaching and Learning. Non-members of the Reading Recovery Council of North America have full access to archived issues of this journal that seeks to promote literacy learning in young students.
- Plagiary. Explore issues of plagiarism and falsification in writing with the scholarly articles here.
The Arts, Foreign Language, and Social Studies
Learn about teaching music, creative arts, foreign languages, geography and culture, and more with these journals.
- International Journal of Community Music. Learn about music instruction in both traditional settings and atypical settings with the information here.
- Research and Issues in Music Education. Get research and commentary on the practice of music education.
- International Journal of Education & the Arts. Find scholarly articles that examine the co-mingling of education and the arts.
- The International Journal of the Creative Arts in Interdisciplinary Practice. This journal explores the use of creative arts as a healing modality.
- Journal of Museum Studies. Students and faculty involved in museum studies will benefit from the articles in this publication.
- Social Studies Research and Practice. This peer-reviewed journal provides a forum for teachers of PreK-16 social studies.
- Fast Capitalism. These articles analyze the implications of information and communication technologies on society and culture.
- Heritage Language Journal. Explore the issues of teaching and learning heritage languages with these articles.
- Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language. This internationally-recognized journal shares scholarly information to promote teaching ESL and EFL.
Technology in education is a popular topic, so stay on top of the latest research coming out with these journals.
- Journal of Educational Technology & Society. These articles serve to unite those who design technology systems for education and those educators who implement and manage these systems to work together for the greater good of education.
- International Forum on Information Technology in Education. Learn about resources and tools that help promote technology in K-16 education.
- Meridian. This journal provides information on technology in middle school education.
- Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education. Explore the intersection of technology and teacher education in math, science, language arts, and social studies.
- EDUCAUSE Review. Technology in higher education is the focus of this online journal.
- International Journal of Educational Technology. A joint venture between the US and Australia, this journal provides scholarly articles on technology in education twice a year.
- THEN: Journal. This journal offers a humanities-based approach to learning about research on the use of technology in education.
- The Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment. Computer-based technology, learning, and assessment is the focus of this peer-reviewed journal.
- Journal of Online Behavior. Read the research being done surrounding online behavior.
- The Journal of Information Technology Education. This annual journal works to improve IT education around the world.
- Journal of Career and Technical Education. Examine the practices of vocational and technical education with these scholarly articles.
- Journal of Industrial Teacher Education. These articles focus on issues surrounding teaching career and technology.
- Journal of Technology Education. Explore topics in technology education with this academic journal.
Special Education, Early Education, and Child Development
From pre-K learners to child development to special education, read these journals to stay connected with what’s happening in these fields.
- Journal of Special Education Technology. Learn about policy and practice associated with technology used in the field of special education.
- Teaching Exceptional Children Plus. The information here is specifically of interest to those who work with children with special needs.
- International Journal of Special Education. Published three times a year, these articles are provided for both teachers and students of special education.
- Information Technology and Disabilities E-Journal. Read studies on the use of technology with students with disabilities here.
- The Journal of Speech – Language Pathology and Applied Behavior Analysis. Professionals staying on top of the issues of speech and language pathology and ABA will find scholarly articles in this journal.
- Early Childhood Research and Practice. Stay on top of the latest on the development and care of the youngest learners here.
- Journal of Youth Development. This multidisciplinary approach to child development focuses on school-aged children to those transitioning to adulthood.
- Teaching Educational Psychology. Learn about teaching educational psychology to teachers, parents, administrators, and policy-makers with the information found here.
- Childhoods Today. See what the latest research is saying in respect to the field of childhood studies with this journal.
Higher Education and Online Education
These journals are all about college-level and online education topics.
- Innovate. Explore the current practices and trends in online education with this journal.
- Journal of Interactive Online Learning. Read manuscripts, essays, and reviews discussing perspectives of online learning.
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration. This journal shares scholarly works examining the management of distance learning education programs.
- Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Study the scholarship of teaching and learning at the higher education level with these journal articles.
- International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. This journal provides a place for teachers, students, and academics to work toward improving the quality of higher-education instruction.
- The Montana Professor. Find scholarly articles discussing teaching in the higher education arena.
- Workplace: A Journal for Academic Labor. The works here promote a higher education workplace activism and a "new dignity in academic work."
- International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning. This journal is issued two times a year and explores teaching and learning in higher education.
- Radical Pedagogy. This journal provides analysis of teaching and learning in contemporary academia.
- The Kentucky Journal of Excellence in College Teaching & Learning. The information here looks at promoting excellence in teaching in the higher education environment.
- InSight: Rivier Academic Journal. Find peer-reviewed papers promoting the advancement of liberal arts higher education in this journal.
Variety of Educational Approaches and Specialized Topics
From study abroad programs to food science education to rural education, these journals all focus on a variety of specialized topics and educational approaches.
- School Library Media Research. Learn about evaluating and implementing successful school library media programs with the articles here.
- InterActions. The scholarly articles here examine interdisciplinary and critical scholarship with a special focus on higher education.
- Frontiers. Explore scholarly issues surrounding study abroad programs with the information in this journal.
- Journal of American Indian Education. This journal publishes papers directly related to the education of American Indian/Alaska natives.
- GEFAME. Get scholarly information on the field of African studies in this journal.
- Journal of Food Science Education. Stay on top of the developments in the field of food science education at all levels.
- Journal of Education for International Development. This journal is specifically for education professionals working in developing countries.
- The International Electronic Journal of Health Education. Keep up with health education practices and policy around the world with this journal.
- Journal of Research in Rural Education. This peer-reviewed journal explores issues relevant to rural education.
- Journal of Southeast Asian American Education and Advancement. Learn about effective programs and practices being used to promote education and advancement for Southeast Asian Americans.
- Perspectives in Urban Education. Explore issues important to urban education with this journal from the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education.