If you're interested in what makes authors tick, you'll love reading what they have to say in interviews. You can learn about how they got started writing, what they enjoy about books, and more. Of course, one excellent way of learning the skills you need to launch a writing career is by earning a degree in writing, but here you’ll find 50 interviews with famous authors that you just can’t miss.
Get a look into authors with celebrity status in these interviews. These interviews may also be of interest to budding journalists.
- Dan Brown: This interview with Dan Brown focuses on The Da Vinci Code.
- JK Rowling: In this interview, JK Rowling sits down with Katie Couric to discuss saying goodbye to the Harry Potter saga.
- John Grisham: You'll find 10 questions for John Grisham in this interview.
- Stephen King: This Stephen King interview takes a look at Lisey's Story.
- Mitch Albom: In this interview, Mitch Albom discusses his uncle Edward Beitchman.
Cookbooks, social commentary, and more are discussed in these interviews.
- Julie Powell: Check out this interview from Julie Powell, author of Julie and Julia.
- Raj Patel: Raj Patel's interview discusses accurately viewing the world.
- Eric Schlosser: Eric Schlosser is interviewed about the fast food industry here.
- Lauren Weisberger: Lauren Weisberger covers her experience writing The Devil Wears Prada.
- Anthony Bourdain: See what it's like to travel around the world for food in Anthony Bourdain's interview about A Cook's Tour.
- Annie Leibovitz at Work: Annie Leibovitz takes you behind her work in this interview.
These interviews cover romance, mystery, and beyond.
- Kevin Sampsell: Kevin Sampsell's interview is about a big fish in a small-press pond.
- James Frey: This interview rings in James Frey's return to the spotlight.
- Fern Michaels: Fern Michaels claims she's a scribbler in this journal.
- John Irving: John Irving's lecture looks into the author's list of recommended books.
- Laurie Notaro: Check out Laurie Notaro's interview about her rise from humor columnist to novelist.
- Orson Scott Card: Orson Scott Card's interview discusses Lost Boys and beyond.
- Clive Barker: This interview discusses Clive Barker's return to writing with Galilee.
- Nora Roberts: Nora Roberts covers her start as a romance novelist in this interview.
- Jodi Picoult: Learn about the household name Jodi Picoult in this interview.
- Jackie Collins: You'll learn about Jackie Collins' examination of sex, drugs, and Hollywood in this interview.
- Amy Tan: Amy Tan's interview focuses on the spirit within.
- Philippa Gregory: Philippa Gregory's interview crowns her the queen of historical fiction.
- Hallie Ephron: Hallie Ephron's interview discusses finally giving in to becoming a famous writer.
- Audrey Niffenegger: Audrey Niffenegger's interview discusses art, writing, and more.
- Eoin Colfer: Sci-Fi author Eoin Colfer discusses Artemis Fowl, Hitchhiker's Guide, and more.
- Neil Gaiman: Graphic novelist and writer Neil Gaiman discusses his diverse repertoire.
- Janet Evanovich: Janet Evanovich opens up about Stephanie Plum and more in this interview.
- Sue Grafton: Sue Grafton's interview covers a long career of successful mysteries.
- Chelsea Cain: Learn about Chelsea Cain's infectious laugh and more in this interview.
- Chuck Palahniuk: This author interview with Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club, explains how he never pulls punches.
- Eric Klinenberg: This interview with author Eric Klinenberg takes you into July of 1995 in the city of Chicago.
- Malcolm Gladwell: Find a few thin slices of Malcolm Gladwell in this interview.
- Mary Higgins Clark: Mary Higgins Clark discusses her Irish heritage's influence on her writing.
- Isabel Allende: You'll learn about Chilean author Isabel Allende in this interview.
- Jung Chang: Check out this interview about Jung Chang, the Chinese author.
Get a look into children's authors through these interviews. These interviews may also be of interest to K-12 teachers, those pursuing education degrees, librarians, and those pursuing degrees in library science.
- Laurie Halse-Anderson: Check out this lecture from the author of Chains, Fight For Life, and more.
- Joanna Cole: Joanna Cole's interview shares a look into the creator of Ms. Frizzle and the Magic School Bus.
- John J. Muth: John J. Muth opens up about Stone Soup, Zen Shorts, and more.
- Katherine Paterson: Watch this interview to learn about Newbery Medal award winning author Katherine Paterson.
- Judy Blume: In this video interview, you'll learn about the classic children's book author, Judy Blume.
- Tomie de Paola: This interview from Tomie de Paola covers a reflection on his career and encouragement of young readers.
- Eric Carle: This interview shows you how Eric Carle goes beyond The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Kate DiCamillo: Check out this interview from super-successful children's book author Kate DiCamillo.
- Norman Bridwell: This interview offers a look into Norman Bridwell, author of Clifford the Big Red Dog.
- Jon Scieszka: John Scieszka's interview is about his weird style and concern about boys and reading.
- Beverly Cleary: In this interview, Beverly Cleary talks about teddy bears, the pleasures of writing, and beyond.
- R.L. Stine: This interview covers young adult horror author RL Stine's life and career.
- Chris Van Allsburg: Watch Chris Van Allsburg for insight into the author of The Polar Express and Jumanji.